“This very flavorful roast is appropriate for any special occasion. The marinade in this recipe tenderizes the roast and the leftovers make fantastic sandwiches.”
(Prep Time: 15 Min – Cook Time: 2 Hrs – Ready In: 4 Hrs 15 Min)
Original Recipe Yield 10 to 12 servings
- 3 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 cup beer
- 1 (8 pound) prime rib roast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- Mix together the ginger, marmalade, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, hot sauce, and mustard. Stir in the beer. Prick holes all over the roast with a 2 pronged fork. Pour marinade over roast. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, basting at least twice.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place roast on a rack in a roasting pan. Pour about 1 cup of marinade into the roasting pan, and discard remaining marinade. Pour olive oil over roast, and season with freshly ground black pepper. Insert a roasting thermometer into the middle of the roast, making sure that the thermometer does not touch any bone. Cover roasting pan with aluminum foil, and seal edges tightly around pan.
- Cook roast for 1 hour in the preheated oven. After the first hour, remove the aluminum foil. Baste, reduce heat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C), and continue roasting for 1 more hour. The thermometer reading should be at least 140 degrees F (60 degrees C) for medium-rare, and 170 degrees F (76 degrees C) for well done. Remove roasting pan from oven, place aluminum foil over roast, and let rest for about 30 minutes before slicing.
Amount per Serving: Calories: 630 | Total Fat: 50.9g | Cholesterol: 113mg