(Prep Time: 30 Min – Cook Time: 1 Hr 15 Min – Ready In: 1 Hr 45 Min)
Original Recipe Yield 6 servings
- 2 leeks, finely chopped (white part only)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes (red or Yukon Gold), chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- salt, pepper, and celery salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 3 ounces chopped portobello mushrooms
- croutons for garnish, if desired
- In a skillet, cook leek, garlic, and potato in 1 tablespoon of butter and the olive oil over medium low heat, stirring often. Do not allow potato to brown.
- Place mustard, salt, pepper, celery salt, and flour together in a bowl. Gradually whisk in water and chicken broth until well blended. Stir into potato mixture, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 1 hour.
- Mash softened potatoes by hand so they remain lumpy. Stir in Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses until melted, then add milk but do not boil. Cook mushrooms over medium high heat in remaining 1 tablespoon of butter until soft. Add to the soup, and stir. Serve immediately with croutons, if desired.
Amount per Serving: Calories: 304 | Total Fat: 13.2g | Cholesterol: 25mg